Wednesday, October 18, 2006

pumpkins & hair!


Today was Kestrel's turn to "teach" the craft at Brownies. Last week we decided we'd decorate pumpkins. Kestrel came up with a list of all the items we would need: little pumpkins, constructions paper, glue, glitter glue, markers, and straw for hair. The straw was an awesome idea! I also ended up buying sticky back black felt which worked well for face pieces and other shapes. We decorated one last night to try it out.

So I had 10 pie pumpkins, and had them in my car for the past two days since I bought them. When I got to school this afternoon for Brownies of course there was nowhere close to park, and found the pumpkins were a lot heavier than I expected (I don't know why I didn't expect it)! I felt a little silly trying to drag this box full of pumpkins while all the kids were getting out of school. I could only drag it a few feet and then had to keep stopping. And of course I was running late!

Eventually the pumpkins and I made it, and Kestrel did a great job leading the craft and the other kids all seemed to really enjoy it. It was very cool to see what they each did with the pumpkins. Kestrel was sure to tell the other girls that they were free to use the materials in any way they wanted, and that the decorated pumpkin she brought in was only a "demonstration". Kestrel's pumpkin that she made today with her troop is the last one on the right, the cat. She finished the straw whiskers at home. Yesterday she made a witch (the demonstration).

Cooper got a much needed haircut yesterday. We were at the mall, and I asked him if he'd like to get his hair cut, and before I knew it he was gone. He went right into Mastercuts all by himself and I found him at the counter asking for a haircut! He certainly is not shy. This morning I asked him if he wanted me to spike his hair, which he did, but we got into a little argument because he wanted it spiked all over, not just on the top. I tried to explain that was impossible, because the hair is far to short to spike on the sides and back, but he didn't seem to believe me.

No comments: